Tuesday 4 November 2014

Volunteering In Uganda

As you all probably know, the reason why I haven't been blogging for a while is because I have been volunteering with a charity called YUYO in Uganda.

Let me tell you a little bit about the charity. YUYO is a charity that was set up to support a small school in Namayumba, Uganda called Yurie Yoshimi Memorial School. This school is not like any other. It was founded by a man who inspires me so very much called. His name is Nelson. What he has achieved by founding the school and helping so many needy children in allowing them the opportunity for a good education, even without the use of his legs, is an achievement that is completely admirable. But all of this would have not been possible if it were not for YUYO. With the help of YUYO, the school has boarding facilities housing just over 200 students (2 per bed), basic nutritious food for the children, a water pump, stable classrooms, a playing field, a Sunday School, and many more, including the most recent project I took apart in which was building the teachers accommodation. None of this would have been possible without the donations that YUYO receive to help this school. As Yurie Yoshimi has expanded, another school New Eden that is greatly in need is now being supported by the charity and in the near future an orphanage will become apart of the workings.

Please visit the website for more information.
www.yuyo.org.uk

From the 24th of October until the 2nd of November, I went out to Uganda to volunteer in working with Yurie Yoshimi and New Eden.

 First of all, I would like to introduce you to this inspirational man, Nelson. His story is absolutely amazing, and he made his dream come true by giving so many children the opportunity to make them dreams come true. He is a man very close to my heart. 















Now I'd like to introduce the lovely team I spent my week with. This team includes 19 team members (20 if you include Juliet's son), and 6 team leaders, notably the amazing Juliet and the wonderful Dave who organised the trip, the YUYO trustees, which now has been added to by another team leader, James (the tallest man ever in the bottom photo, like 6'5 or something). It was an absolute delight to work with all these amazing people in which I have made some wonderful friendships.


















One of the main projects we were working on this year was building the teachers accommodation which is located just next to the school. The team worked on a rota in which I was building on the Monday and the Thursday. The two team leaders on the build was the amazing Pete and my matey Gavin who did an incredible job. We managed in the time that we spent there to complete all the brick work needed which is an amazing achievement. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the finished product.















 Another project we worked on was painting the inside of the Sunday School by the church. Before painted, it was just a very dark looking shed. With the lovely leadership of Alex on this project, we were able to create something bright, colourful and personal for the children to look at and enjoy for their Sunday activities.
















One thing which has confirmed my career choice was having the opportunity to teach so many wonderful children. I think people really underestimate how bright these children really are. They're English is impeccable, I had never struggled to communicate with any of the children. Even though it's a primary school, they learn about things sometimes I don't even know, and many of the team including me were truly and pleasantly surprised. This made me realise the importance of an education for all because here is a school full of children who are all eager to learn and could potentially be really influential in their future careers.


.















We organised a sports day, one for Yurie Yoshimi and one for New Eden, which the children all thoroughly enjoyed. I worked on the high jump. I was again pleasantly surprised at not just how clever all the children are but how they all seem to be really good athletes. To make it as official as possible we awarded medals for the high scorers in which the children was delighted by having achieved something significant. It's absolutely amazing how without training these children are incredibly strong and athletic.


There are a lot of children at Yurie, but I had made a very special connection with these for children (left to right) Jawhara, Sophia, Juliet and Alvin. Never have I ever found children to show me so much love and adoration is such a short amount of time as these children. Through letters they would tell me their appreciation and they all stole my heart in which before I left I decided to leave them all my clothes as well as giving them some sweeties for a present, and they were every so grateful and polite and honestly the sweetest children I have ever met. I hope to stay in contact with them all through letters and continue to send them stuff (all of them only own 1 sets of school uniform, and are boarders at the school) until i plan to visit again in 2 years time.

















Amongst my 4 little children, I had fallen in love with a particular little girl ages 8 years old. I'd like to introduce you to Babirye Jawhara, or as I called her, 'my little angel'. Never had I seen this girl without the biggest smile on her face, she captured my heart the first moment I saw her at Sunday School. Because of this very special bond we had, I made the decision to sponsor Jawhara. For £20 a month, I am able to support her with her tuition fees, her accomodation and her nutrition. I have every faith in her that she will succeed in her life and I am so proud to be apart of that in supporting her and hopefully building a wonderful relationship.































Anyhow, this is only a summary of this amazing trip I have been on. More photos can be found on my facebook if you just click here. If you would like any information about donating to this charity or sponsoring a child, feel free to ask me or have a look on the YUYO website.

Thank you for all the donations (money and items for the children) I received to make this trip possible for me. It honestly was the most incredible and eye opening experience for me and I highly recommend for anyone to do something similar as it really has changed my life for the better.









No comments:

Post a Comment